- Dr Richard Blake
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- I have been a podiatrist for 34 years now and I am excited about sharing what I have learned on this blog. I love to exercise, especially basketball and hiking. I love to travel. I am very happily married to Patty, and have 2 wonderful sons Steve and Chris, a great daughter in law Clare, my new grandson Henry, and a grand dog Felix.
Link to Office Website
Sunday, March 24, 2013
Balance in the Elderly: Article Documenting Improvement with Foot Orthoses
Many of my elderly patients are unsteady. This article documents the possible benefits of foot orthotic devices as an important aspect of a Fall Prevention Program. Functional Foot Orthotic Devices can dramatically improve the surface area of contact of the bottom of the foot (bringing the ground up to meet the foot surface exactly) enhancing proprioception or balance. I have seen this daily in my private practice. But, it must be used with stable shoes, and the patient must look more stable and feel more stable. Sometimes, it appears more stable to me, but the patient senses some instability. Sometimes, the patient feels fine, but the shoe/orthotic combination looks unstable to me. So, functional foot orthotics must be evaluated shoe by shoe in a good Fall Prevention Program, but will be a valuable part of this program.
- ► 2015 (153)
- ► 2014 (218)
- Inverted Orthotic Technique: Email Advice Regardin...
- Knee Pain with Medial Compartment Injury noted on ...
- Cortisone Injections/Morton's Neuroma: Email Advic...
- The Inverted Orthotic Technique: Email Advice
- Posterior Tibial Tendinitis: Email Advice
- Removable Boot with Possibly Better Design When Yo...
- San Francisco to New York Running: Read about the ...
- Balance in the Elderly: Article Documenting Improv...
- Spinal Cord Stimulation: Summary of Recent Lecture...
- Sesamoid Fracture: Email Advice
- Sesamoid Injury at 4 months: Email Advice
- Hallux Rigidus: Wonderful Review of Surgical Optio...
- Sesamoiditis: Email Advice
- Deep Relief: Excellent for Soreness
- Hallux Rigidus: Email Advice
- Accessory Navicular: Email Advice
- ▼ March (16)
- ► 2012 (262)
- ► 2011 (244)