- Dr Richard Blake
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- I have been a podiatrist for 34 years now and I am excited about sharing what I have learned on this blog. I love to exercise, especially basketball and hiking. I love to travel. I am very happily married to Patty, and have 2 wonderful sons Steve and Chris, a great daughter in law Clare, my new grandson Henry, and a grand dog Felix.
Link to Office Website
Sunday, March 10, 2013
Hallux Rigidus: Wonderful Review of Surgical Options
I practice in an area where many of the top surgeons prefer fusing an arthritic big toe joint called Hallux Rigidus. But, there are options out there that I hope these 2 links give you some reference point. I am not a surgeon, but in the hundreds and hundreds of Hallux Rigidus cases I have seen, most patients are avoiding surgery. Those who need surgery have to look for a recommended 3 surgeons to honestly discuss cheilectomy (joint clean out), shortening osteotomy of the first metatarsal, joint replacement, intra-positional arthroplasty, and joint fusion (arthrodesis). There are definite camps of preferences. You need a surgeon who is skilled in all of these and knows the subtle differences and where your joint fits into this schema. You don't want to hear "I always do it this way". I do try to live in that ideal world. Fantasy???
- ► 2015 (153)
- ► 2014 (218)
- Inverted Orthotic Technique: Email Advice Regardin...
- Knee Pain with Medial Compartment Injury noted on ...
- Cortisone Injections/Morton's Neuroma: Email Advic...
- The Inverted Orthotic Technique: Email Advice
- Posterior Tibial Tendinitis: Email Advice
- Removable Boot with Possibly Better Design When Yo...
- San Francisco to New York Running: Read about the ...
- Balance in the Elderly: Article Documenting Improv...
- Spinal Cord Stimulation: Summary of Recent Lecture...
- Sesamoid Fracture: Email Advice
- Sesamoid Injury at 4 months: Email Advice
- Hallux Rigidus: Wonderful Review of Surgical Optio...
- Sesamoiditis: Email Advice
- Deep Relief: Excellent for Soreness
- Hallux Rigidus: Email Advice
- Accessory Navicular: Email Advice
- ▼ March (16)
- ► 2012 (262)
- ► 2011 (244)