Total Pageviews


Dr Blake's Book


Friday, November 3, 2017

Calmare for severe nerve pain: More news

A Pilot Trial of Scrambler Therapy for Pain Associated With Pancreas Cancer - Full Text View.

Doctors seek new paths toward pain relief amid an epidemic of addiction and death.

Calmare Therapy
Four months after a botched podiatric surgery, Ridgewood resident Marilyn Green started to experience intense pain in her right foot. She was diagnosed with reflex sympathetic dystrophy (now largely known as complex regional pain syndrome type 1), a neurological disorder in which pain from damage to the soft tissues and/or peripheral nerves can spread to other parts of the body. Leery of narcotics, she self-prescribed a combination of B-complex vitamins and exercise that had proven beneficial to her mother after a case of shingles. The treatment offered some relief, but the gnawing pain persisted and began to spread. Green came across an article describing a rare procedure known as Calmare, designed to treat neuropathy, the nerve damage and concurrent chronic pain that can arise after chemotherapy, a shingles outbreak, or surgery. In cases like Green’s, says Michael Cooney, a chiropractor who is one of the few practitioners in the state to use the therapy, “we think there’s a hypersensitivity that’s developed within the pain center of the brain.” The Calmare device uses electrodes to move what Cooney calls “a no-pain signal” through the area of pain in order to “reboot” the brain, so that it’s no longer aware of the pain.
Cooney treated Green with 10 sessions of Calmare, and she is now pain free. “When I went in there, my pain level was at nine,” she says. “On day five of the treatments, it was down to zero.”
Calmare is effective only on true neuropathies; it appears to offer relief ranging from 6 to 18 months or longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving a comment. Due to my time restraints, some comments may not be answered.I will answer questions that I feel will help the community as a whole.. I can only answer medical questions in a general form. No specific answers can be given. Please consult a podiatrist, therapist, orthopedist, or sports medicine physician in your area for specific questions.