Total Pageviews



Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hammertoe Advice

Email sent to on 1/20/11

Question, currently I suffer from hammertoes on one foot, it is the second toe next to Big toe. It is completely dislocated, now on my right foot for the last year I'm having a lot of pain and my foot is swollen and the second toe is starting to turn under some. My biggest issue right is I have this sore foot and shin splints, I can't walk very far anymore because of it, I can't shop for long or do any standing in one place very long. Do you have any suggestions?


Dear Gloria, I am imaging that you have a hammertoe that looks like my patient Paula below.

Here her toe is dislocated with the big toe now moving under the second toe. As the 2nd toe goes up, the 2nd metatarsal is pushed down against the ground much more than normal allowing for stress to build up in the tissues. The soft tissues under the second metatarsal/toe joint begin to scream bloody murder and pain starts. This pain causes swelling which causes more pain, and a vicious cycle is created.

The top five self treatments that you can easily start are:1.Budin Splint (either single or double loop)
2. Start wearing YogaToes or a knockoff
3.  Ice massage three times daily

4. Avoiding bending the toe joints as much as humanly possible (ie. stay flat footed on the ellyptical machine).

5. Begin using Hapad Small Longitudinal Medial Arch self adhesive pads in most shoes.

When you are in alot of pain, I would probably try to rest the foot in a removable boot and try to get an MRI to find out what is going on. If finances are an issue, the removable boots can be purchased online and try to wear for 6 to 8 weeks while you ice three times daily.

I sure this helps you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving a comment. Due to my time restraints, some comments may not be answered.I will answer questions that I feel will help the community as a whole.. I can only answer medical questions in a general form. No specific answers can be given. Please consult a podiatrist, therapist, orthopedist, or sports medicine physician in your area for specific questions.