Around 5 months ago, I increased my level of activity significantly (too much too soon) and I got tendonitis in my right foot on the peroneal tendon. I was limping around for about 3-4 weeks and was shifting the majority of my weight onto my left foot.
I decided to non-weight bear for 3 weeks.
I walked for about 1 minute, and the intense pain came back again. I was extremely discouraged, and was starting to suspect a stress fracture. I got an x-ray around July 20th and my doctor said everything looked fine, but from what I have read online, sometimes x-rays don't show a stress fracture unless there is a clear break and a gap between the pieces.
On July 27th, I received a used exogen 4000+ system off eBay and began using it. Around august 28th my left foot didn't hurt when I palpated the sesamoid bones and I could walk around (with limited dorsiflexion) with no pain, but some stiffness still. I decided to go back to my Doctor and ask for an MRI. He immediately told me no, because family doctors in Canada aren't really allowed to give MRI's especially for something non-life threatening. So I convinced him to get a bone scan.
My bone scan was scheduled for September 5th. I decided I could walk around in the hospital because my foot wasn't as bad. I should have asked for a wheel chair, because the day after my sesamoids were throbbing and my foot was a bit swollen.
On September 10th, I got the results back from the bone scan, which said there was increased bone activity at the first MPJ and Sesamoids. I saw two different doctors. Doctor 1 told me that based on pain upon palpation of sesamoids and the bone scan results, it is indicating a stress fracture. Doctor 2 said the results were essentially normal, and I should just do physio and use orthotics. I was a bit offended by what Doctor 2 said, because I have tried physio, non-weight bearing, orthotics, everything essentially for 5 months and I still can't walk.
Doctor 1 happens to be a fill-in doctor at my family physicians clinic and Doctor 2 is my family physician. Doctor 1 wanted to send me to a sports medicine specialist, but Doctor 2 (since he is my family physician) cancelled the referral to the sports medicine specialist. I feel like I am getting no help from my Doctors here in Canada, I have no options left because my family physician is making it his goal to make sure we never know whats going on with my foot. My last option seems to be going to rheuamtologist that I was referred to several months ago and asking him to refer me to a private MRI clinic which I will pay for myself.
I am going to buy some kinesio tape so I can do the Spica taping for hallux limitus. I will also be buying some Dancers pad to use in conjunction with my orthotics (did I mention that I over-pronate?). Maybe a rocker bottom shoe or a shoe with a wide toe box will also help?
I appreciate any help, I know your very busy running your own clinic and answering questions on your spare time, so I am very thankful for your advice.