- Create a pain free environment.
- Ice 30 minutes 3 times daily
- Start Quadriceps strengthening painlessly on day one
- Stretch the quadriceps and hamstrings 3 times daily, although avoid knee flexion over 45 degrees (Too much knee flexion for kneecap pain)
- Knee Brace for Patellar stabilization like Bauerfiend Genutrain Knee Brace
- McConnell knee taping with Leukotape and underwrap or KT taping.
- Core Strengthening for external hip rotators, including gluts, iliopsoas and piriformis muscles.
- OTC or Custom inserts to stabilize any overpronation tendencies, or just varus cant. Goal is to get the knee to function in the center and not internally rotated.
- Use activity modification to get cardio without irritating the knee. Consider raising the seat in cycling to prevent too much flexion (over 45 degrees the patella starts pushing hard on the femur).
- If it is a running injury, shoes are crucial for stability. Have a good running shoe store help you pick out a great stability or motion control shoe for you.
Pay Pal Donation
Please consider a donation if you feel the blog has helped you. A $5 donation will help me pay for the blog artwork, guest writers, etc. $5 has been donated for October, and $75 was sent to the Hurricane Harvey victims in September. I am very honored and grateful. Dr Rich Blake
Monday, April 25, 2016
Quad Sets: Simple but Effective for Runner's Knee
The top 10 initial treatments of Patella problems are:
Your shoe selection should help avoid the heel valgus where the heel rotates outward driving the knee inward too far.