Total Pageviews



Saturday, April 16, 2016

Ledderhose: Plantar Fibromatosis

Hi there,

My son, Oscar, has a large lump on his foot - it's about the size of a squashed grape.

We've seen a couple of specialists in the UK but they have seen very few children with this condition, and none as severe as Oscar's.  I am trying to avoid surgery because of the high recurrence and the other significant problems it can cause.

Do you have any suggestions, or can you point me at any research or specialists?

I am looking at:
- Radiotherapy, but cannot find anyone with experience of this for children
- Orthotics; we have some that help but again it's hard to find anything specific for children
- Other options, e.g. collagenese, but again it's hard to find anyone with experience with children

Thanks for any help or pointers.

Dr Blake's Response:
     Thanks for the email. I am not sure if anyone is doing surgery on this condition. Please see the links below. You should be encouraged by the marathoner one. Soft based orthotics, like some version of the Hannaford style described in my blog, are crucial. I have not injected anything but Kenalog 10 in these lesions, with good sucess, but only in adults. The cortisone has to be repeated every 9-12 months typically. Start doing vigorous cross frictional (across the grain of the fibers) ice massge for 5 minutes 3 times a day (melt an ice cube or get a CryoCup). See if the tape from can help with activity, and you can ice and shower through the tape. Hope this helps some. Rich


  1. Hi - thanks for the response; we are likely to go for Radiotherapy in Hamburg, as this really looks like the best option by far. I'll let you know. Mike (from original email).


Thank you very much for leaving a comment. Due to my time restraints, some comments may not be answered.I will answer questions that I feel will help the community as a whole.. I can only answer medical questions in a general form. No specific answers can be given. Please consult a podiatrist, therapist, orthopedist, or sports medicine physician in your area for specific questions.