Total Pageviews



Sunday, November 4, 2012

ShearBan: Great to Reduce Friction at the Bottom of the Foot

When trying to eliminate friction from the bottom of the foot, especially in cases of ulcerations, scars, calluses, and sore points, ShearBan and Engo are 2 great products. Here I am using ShearBan, with 1/8th plastazote or memory foam, with an accommodative pad to reduce both the vertical load and the shearing load (friction) on a developing ulcer. This patient has already had toes amputated from PAD, or peripheral arterial disease, and any developing sore must be protected as well as possible. 

1/8th inch Memory foam (plastazote) from JMS Plastics to replace the shoe insert to reduce the vertical load on the sore area.

The developing sore, which has not yet ulcerated, is marked with Wet and Wild Lipstick

The shoe insert is placed into the shoe, and then the foot with the lipstick, is carefully placed. The patient is asked to walk a few feet. The first mark is always from the foot getting into the shoe, with the mark closest to the toes being where the sore is located.

A small piece of ShearBan is placed on this area on the top surface of the memory foam in direct contact with the sore area. You want to reduce the shearing force in as small area as possible since you do not want the foot sliding too much in the shoe. 

Here 1/16 inch neolon, also from JMS Plastics, is placed on the bottom surface of the pad to off weight the sore. 

Here the 2 glued sided are joined accomplishing the off weight bearing. So, with the above treatment, this shoe insert has reduced vertical load, reducing friction or the shearing force, and off weighted the sore area. One of these functions should help prevent pain and further loss of limb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving a comment. Due to my time restraints, some comments may not be answered.I will answer questions that I feel will help the community as a whole.. I can only answer medical questions in a general form. No specific answers can be given. Please consult a podiatrist, therapist, orthopedist, or sports medicine physician in your area for specific questions.