Total Pageviews



Sunday, May 1, 2011

Possible Short Leg Syndrome: Email Answer

Email received 5/1/11
Hi Dr Blake,

My name is Suffian.I am from Australia. I have been suffering low back pain for about 2 years.Since 2009, I have done a lot of treatment includes physiotherapy,chiropractic, and acupuncture. But until now,none of them works.Now, I cannot get back to my normal life.I cannot play sports anymore because the pain is unbearable a day after I play sport.In other words,I cannot do excessive movement as the pain can get worse. I suspected it is a short leg syndrome because :
a) I have neck pain

b) I have lower back pain

c) my neck is tilted to the left

d) I experience pain in both of my knees

e) my right shoulder looks shorter in front of a mirror

f ) when I wear a pants, the pants looks like it is inclined (left side is higher than the right side)

So,Doctor, what is your opinion and advice for my case? I am tired of spending hundreds of dollar to cure my problem.I really need to get back to my normal life.I am still young,23 years old. If you know any reliable person in Sydney (eventhough you are in the US) who can assist my problem,do let me know. I hope to get a reply from you soon.

Thank you Doctor,



Dear Suffian, You definitely sound like you have structural short leg, but it could be functional from a scoliosis. Ask your GP to order the Standing AP Pelvic Xrays mentioned in other posts. Look up a sports podiatrist from your city from the Australian Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine. Once you have determined whether you have a short leg structurally or functionally let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you don't mind me pitching in my own advice. The way I see it, the symptoms discussed above can be treated through chiropractic, particularly neck pain and back pain.


Thank you very much for leaving a comment. Due to my time restraints, some comments may not be answered.I will answer questions that I feel will help the community as a whole.. I can only answer medical questions in a general form. No specific answers can be given. Please consult a podiatrist, therapist, orthopedist, or sports medicine physician in your area for specific questions.