Total Pageviews



Friday, October 21, 2011

Kinesiotape Advice from Aphrodite Daphnis, ATC

This is an email sent to me from my patient Ruth today.

Kinesiotape for big toe joint pain

Kinesiotape for Arch Support
Hey Dr Blake,

First I just wanted to apologize. I have had to cancel several appointments for a fitting of my second pair of orthotics due to work and family emergencies. All OK now and I should be in next Thurday for my appointment. Sorry you had to keep these in your storeroom!

Also, hope I can get some guidance in better use of the kineseology tape. I find it increases my stamina and reduces pain but generally it tends to roll up and if I shower it gets worse. I rarely use it more than 1 day before I need to take it off. Maybe your assistant can show me more tips when I come in.
Thanks for everything. Ruth
Hi Ruth,

There are a few tricks to helping the Kinesio tape stay on your skin longer.

First, make sure you prep your skin with rubbing alcohol before applying the tape. This will reduce the amount of dirt and oil on your skin, which will allow the tape to adhere to your skin better. The same concept applies to hair. If necessary, shave the area before applying the tape.

In addition, once you apply the tape, make sure you rub it for up to one minute (or until the glue activates).

Lastly, refrain from showering, swimming, or participating in strenuous activity for at least 30 minutes after applying the tape. After showering, pat the tape dry with a towel instead of rubbing it. This will prevent the tape from curling/peeling off.

Hopefully these tips will solve your problem. Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving a comment. Due to my time restraints, some comments may not be answered.I will answer questions that I feel will help the community as a whole.. I can only answer medical questions in a general form. No specific answers can be given. Please consult a podiatrist, therapist, orthopedist, or sports medicine physician in your area for specific questions.