Total Pageviews



Saturday, August 30, 2014

Hallux Limitus/Rigidus: Email Advice

I have hallux limitus/rigidus but would really like to keep running/walking.  Is there a shoe or insert you would recommend to allow me to continue.  I am able to practice yoga but with some pain.  I have constant pain even at rest but don't want to do anything invasive at this point.  I can tell I'm getting more and more depressed without the natural stress release of running or vigorous walking.  Any suggestions?


Dr Blake's comment: 
     First of all, with hallux limitus/rigidus the pain is primarily with bending the big toe joint. You definitely should attempt sports that limit that motion like biking, swimming, and elliptical. Secondly, you should work on the 4 areas that affect the big toe (that is covered throughout my blog): shoes that do not bend, carbon graphite inserts that restrict bend, spica taping that restricts bend, and orthotic devices that off weight. Thirdly, you can treat the arthritis daily with a steady dose of anti-inflammatory like icing, traumeel, zyflamend, voltaren gel or flector patches. And fourth of all, get some form of imaging or some way or checking it's progress:xrays, MRIs, CT scans, range of motion examinations, etc. 
     So, what are simple generic responses to your questions:
  1. Consider an MRI that you can get every few years if needed?
  2. Try cross training with sports that do not need so much toe bend.
  3. Experiment with New Balance 928 or Mizuno Wave Nirvana to limit motion.
  4. Experiment with Carbon Graphite plates (like Otto Beck)
  5. Learn to spica tape
  6. Get orthotics to off weight the big toe joint
  7. 3 times a day do something to produce an anti-inflammatory effect.
  8. Good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving a comment. Due to my time restraints, some comments may not be answered.I will answer questions that I feel will help the community as a whole.. I can only answer medical questions in a general form. No specific answers can be given. Please consult a podiatrist, therapist, orthopedist, or sports medicine physician in your area for specific questions.