Total Pageviews



Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Top 100 Biomechanical Guidelines #11: Know the Symptoms related to Poor Shock Absorption

Soft Plastazote Orthotic Device for Maximum Shock Absorption
     Many patients have very poor shock absorption due to limited joint mobility, excessive force at heel impact, and poor bone density. The common injuries related to poor shock absorption are:
  1. Stress Fractures: Metatarsal (Front of Foot),  Calcaneal (Heel), Tibial (Lower Leg) or Femoral (Thigh)
  2. Heel Bursitis or Bruise
  3. Knee or Hip Arthralgias (joint inflammation)

      Consider getting a bone density test if you have a history (even family history) of osteopenia (weak bones), or osteoporosis (soft bones), developed a stress fracture and do not think your activity level warranted the injury, and have low Vit D levels (even low normal in an athlete).

      I recommend all athletes, due to the crisis of low levels of Vit D, get your Vit D 25 levels when you have your next blood work.

     All athletes, people exercising on a 4 plus day per week average, should be taking 1500 mg Calcium daily (either dietary or supplement). Consider any serving of dairy  products or vegetables as 300 mg, and add a supplement to bring you to 1500 at the end of each day. Sugarless Tums is the drug of choice for some with 500 mg per pill, and there are multiple favors.

     Of course, athletes with poor shock absorption issues, must reduce (not eliminate) their workouts on hard surfaces, avoid shoes with poor shock aborption, and consider avoiding down hills normal or fast with a passion, and running on soft surfaces (like the beach below), or 50% workouts on the treadmill for more shock absorption.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving a comment. Due to my time restraints, some comments may not be answered.I will answer questions that I feel will help the community as a whole.. I can only answer medical questions in a general form. No specific answers can be given. Please consult a podiatrist, therapist, orthopedist, or sports medicine physician in your area for specific questions.