Total Pageviews



Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Hallux Limitus/Rigidus Restriction vs. Motion

Hello Dr. Blake

If I don't bother you I would like to ask you two questions related to your post from your blog "Hallux Limitus and Hallux Rigidus: When do we allow Motion and When do we Restrict":

-are you using an entire (supporting the entire forefoot) or Morton's type extension of the flat carbon graphite plate?
Dr. Blake's comment:   I have used either. It seems that 2 stores near me have the plates with the full foot stiffness. So it has been easy for patients to start with that. If it seems that is too much stiffness with irritation somewhere (metatarsals, ankles, knees in particular) from such radical restriction of motion, then I have them get the plate that is flat but has only a hallux extension for Morton's restriction. Again, I typically am going looking for a short-term restriction of motion when it is needed, with a return to motion when possible. 

-how do you choose the stiffness/flexibility or the thickness of the plate? 
Dr. Blake's comment: I am sure there is more sophistication in the process then what I know. I use the one from Otto Bock and have the patient simply buy their size. They are really stiff. Mine are stiff (firm) and flat (since used under the orthotic device). I guess I could go stiffer if it was not doing the job for a big guy. I love the spica taping at this time of restriction also.

I will write these questions on your blog also!
Many thanks for your kindness,

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your answer!
    But I dare to ask a new one: Let say it is not possible to have for the patient a rocker shoe: will the carbon plate do its job (restrict motion) if it will be put in a flexible shoe? How will you check if it is working in a flexible shoe?
    Many thanks again for your valuable posts!


Thank you very much for leaving a comment. Due to my time restraints, some comments may not be answered.I will answer questions that I feel will help the community as a whole.. I can only answer medical questions in a general form. No specific answers can be given. Please consult a podiatrist, therapist, orthopedist, or sports medicine physician in your area for specific questions.