Total Pageviews



Thursday, July 16, 2015

FDA warns against any use of NSAIDS (July 2015)

From Google Images

The FDA just came out with more severe warnings against NSAIDS, like ibuprofen, aleve, and diclofenac. Since these drugs are common place in sports medicine practices, it will take some time to filter down to the athletes, coachs, and health care providers. Increase use of icing, contrast bathing, rest, topical sauves, etc, will be encouraged. 

Please see all of the tips at the end of the following blog post on reducing inflammation, even if an area does not appear swollen. 

More from Dr Blake: 

Over the years I have gradually shifted away from drugs and shots for anti-inflammatory measures after an acute injury. So you start with 4 days of straight icing after injury, then begin to add some heat. Yet, most of my patients are in the subacute or chronic states of their injuries at any given time. It is a time of gradual restrengthening and gradual return to full activity. How is the inflammation handled in this arena? Typically, I love (2) 10-15 minute ice packs daily and contrast baths at 4 minute hot to 1 minute cold ratio 3-5 times per week. The patient of course needs to try to control their activities so as not to keep the tissue inflamed and aggravated. NSAIDS (like advil and aleve) can be used  prn (as needed).  Never take the drug within 6 hours before exercise to mask pain. When the inflammation seems deep set and hard to more out (like a squatter!), consider topical anti-inflammatories like flector patches, voltaren gel, traumeel, arnica, compounding formulations, zyflamend, or biofreeze/mineral ice. You can also get an Rx for PT (consider 5 sessions of iontophoresis with dexamethasone or cupping) or acupuncture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving a comment. Due to my time restraints, some comments may not be answered.I will answer questions that I feel will help the community as a whole.. I can only answer medical questions in a general form. No specific answers can be given. Please consult a podiatrist, therapist, orthopedist, or sports medicine physician in your area for specific questions.