Total Pageviews



Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Water Brace for Ankle Rehabilitation: Posterior Tibial Tendon Injury

This patient of mine is currently recovering from a posterior tibial tendon injury. Her MRI showed inflammation without tears, so we are moving her along in the rehabilitation process. We had discussed no kicking in the water at this point due to the added stress on the tendon, and definitely no fins of any form.

Hi Rich,

I apologize again for being late this morning, after asking you to
be on time.  Thanks so much for your patience and understanding.

Re: swimming (no fins) being stressful on my ankles

1.  Would this, or something like it, allow me to swim w/out putting
that float thing betw my legs?

2.  Would it work for water aerobics?  Can I go to water aerobics in another month or 2?
   (it does involve some jumping, etc) What if I use one of those wrap-around-your-waist float things and my
    feet don't touch bottom?

3.  Were you saying that I should NEVER swim w/out that float thing?

I made an appt for a month from now.  Hope it's not too much trouble to respond to these ???s.

Thanks again!


Dr Blake's response after reviewing the link:

Thanks, that looks great. It will help the biofeedback loop telling your brain that you are protected and that you can swim, while you still must avoid excessive kicking in the pool. Still go easy and ice for 15 minutes after swimming whether it hurts or not. Your MRI was too good to have any permanent restriction on activity, but it will take you 6-9 months to get that injured posterior tibial tendon super strong. Yes, you can begin water aerobics in 2 months, just start with brace and no weight bearing for the first month. And we will see how it goes.Hope this goes well. Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for leaving a comment. Due to my time restraints, some comments may not be answered.I will answer questions that I feel will help the community as a whole.. I can only answer medical questions in a general form. No specific answers can be given. Please consult a podiatrist, therapist, orthopedist, or sports medicine physician in your area for specific questions.